02 December 2009

The Power of Music



This morning as I was dressing Noah for the day, I started singing "Angels We Have Heard on High" and Noah hugged me and put his head on my shoulder. Every time I stopped singing, he would pull away and look at me, and as soon as I started again, he would put his arms back around my neck and lay his head back down. It was as if the music was affecting him, relaxing him almost. I've noticed reactions from him before when certain songs play. He's most recently started clapping to music, and he dances more than ever. If this little one doesn't grow up to be a musician, I at least hope that he will have an appreciation of music, and I absolutely intend to expose him to instruments at an early age.
Does anyone have suggestions for great kids' music? I feel like I've had a hard time finding some that doesn't make me want to shoot myself!

3 comments:

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) said...

That's the sweetest!! Some friends of mine just had their first baby this Summer...they have some really neat music. It's like kid's songs to the melody of modern songs that we would listen to. Or something like that...I'll find out and let you know!

The Edgren Family said...

How precious! Just wait til he starts singing too! He must take after his mama...not sure if Matt is musically inclined??

Shanna Gourley said...

Keep playing music and he will start singing it eventually. I think you will enjoy the music class with the downtown moms, I have music class cds that you can borrow or copy. We also like the Cars Soundtrack, Laurie Berkner Band, Ralph's World.